#TeachingwithTe(a)chnology - RSS


Hello all! 

I hope you all doing fine and well. The term is almost over so we're so close to the finishing line now!  But we still do have so much to talk and one of them is about, RSS. 

As usual, let's start with its definition. 

RSS 
.noun

a standardized system for the distribution of content from an online publisher to Internet users.
1990s: originally an abbreviation of RDF Site Summary, later interpreted as Rich Site Summary, and now usually as Really Simple Syndication

 

As we can see from the Chart about the frequency of the term RSS, one can clearly understand that the term gained its popularity just after the 60s. At the 2010's, it has found its peak. 

Let's continue with the subject which is 'How we use RSS?'. 
RSS actually offers the user an opportunity to follow the blogs he or she like and keep them updated on the new posts! So, not only among the bloggers but also among most of the people who are frequently utilizing Internet services! Due to the functions of RSS, we can not limit its usage to only bloggers. 

Thanks to our teacher's suggestion -Gökçe K.-, I've recently started using RSS to collect the sites I like and would love to check again together. I mostly followed ELT blogs but you can customize your RSS feed according to what you like! 

The service I'm using is called 'Reeder' and you can download it from AppStore. 


❃ Why I use Reeder? 

I use Reeder in order to keep myself up-to-date. Most of the time, I just scan the sites and not look deeper and in detail cause of the lack of time. But with this app, I can save them, star them and rather than scanning I can easily see the details in those. 


❃ What is my favorite blog? 

My favorite and I think one of the most interesting blogs that I follow is Tekhnologic
At about me section the owner says 'I  am an English language teacher in Japan and I teach with and without the use of technology in the classroom.' and I really enjoy following his posts since they are adaptable to the class environment and includes lots of technology usage. One of the distinct features the site has that the sophisticated use of PowerPoint. The owner prepares lots of activity and task which can be conducted by only using PowerPoint. I didn't know there would be lots of opportunity like that in PP and I feel enlightened in a way actually! 


Here is a video on how I use Reeder. :) 


Overall, I am really glad to find out about the existence of RSS. I didn't know it was such a useful tool till this semester and in the future I can see myself using it to not forget the interesting activities and tasks. :) 

What are your opinions about RSS? Which service are you benefitting from? 

Don't forget to share your ideas and thought on this subject with me! Thank you. 

See you and take care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment